You are here

Sexual Assault / Sexual Violence

Individuals who have experienced sexual violence often find it difficult to disclose.

Confederation College recognizes the challenges faced by those who have experienced sexual violence, but urges individuals to seek support for their own healing.

If you are in danger and require immediate and urgent assistance, call:

  • 911 for Police, or
  • (807) 623‐0465, or 922 from a College phone, for Security at the Thunder Bay Campus (24 hours).

If you are physically injured, seek medical attention for your injuries:

  • call 911 for an ambulance, or go directly to the Emergency Department, particularly if you have severe physical injuries and/or wish to have a forensic examination (commonly known as a “rape kit”)
  • if your injuries are less severe and you do not want a forensic examination, you may prefer to seek medical attention from your doctor, a walk-in clinic, or at the College Health Centre
  • bring a friend if possible;  or, call the Sexual Abuse Centre Thunder Bay 24 Hour Crisis Line at 344-4502 and they will get someone to accompany you

If you feel unsafe, go to a place where you feel safe:

  • if you live in residence, go to a trusted friend, your Residence Advisor, or another Residence staff member;
  • if you don’t live in residence, or are not a student, go to a trusted friend or relative
  • at the Thunder Bay campus, go to: the Counselling Office: Shuniah Building, Room 153 (M‐F, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM): (807) 475‐6618, or Toll Free: 1‐800‐465‐5493,
  • the Public Safety – Security Office: Shuniah Building, Room 142 (office: M – F, 7 AM – 7 PM; security assistance: 24 hours): (807) 623‐0465, or 922 from a College phone

If you are in crisis either immediately after, or anytime after, an assault, 24 hour telephone support is available:

  • Assaulted Women’s Helpline: 1‐866‐863‐0511 (Toll Free) 1‐866‐863‐7868 (TTY)
  • Thunder Bay Sexual Abuse Centre - 24 Hour Crisis Line: (807) 344‐4502
  • Students: Good2Talk (Ontario’s Postsecondary Student Helpline): 1‐866‐925‐5454 (Toll Free)
  • Employees: Employee and Family Assistance Program: Sheppell‐fgi: 1‐800‐387‐4765 (Toll Free)

If you wish to access College support and resources, or obtain a referral to off-campus support and resources:

Individuals who have experienced sexual violence are under no obligation to file a formal complaint in order to access on‐campus support or resources, or to be referred to off‐campus support and resources.

To access support or resources, you may contact or visit the following offices directly, or you may contact the following individuals to assist you with your options:

  • Students: Linda Gluck at Counselling Services in the Student Success Office, (807) 475‐6618, or Toll Free: 1‐800‐465‐5493, Shuniah Building, Room 153
  • Students Living in Residence: Elaine Wilson, General Manager (Campus Living Centres):  (807) 356‐0367, Sibley Hall main office, Room 149
  • Employees of the College: Jeannine Verdenik, Director (Human Resources & Organizational Development): (807) 475‐6267, Shuniah Building, Room A213