What is a Temporary Resident Visa?

A visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa) is an official document that IRCC inserts in your passport. It shows that you meet the requirements to enter Canada.

You may need a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization. The entry document you need depends on:

  • the type of travel document you plan to travel with;
  • the country that issued your travel document;
  • your nationality; and
  • your method of travel to Canada.

Find out if you need a visitor visa.

Guide to applying for your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Refer to the guides below to complete your TRV application. 

Please note: These are not legal documents. For legal information, refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations where applicable. You can also refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for updated information at www.cic.gc.ca

For more details about TRV and what it means, please read the below text carefully. For any other queries, email [email protected]

Important Regulations

You need a valid TRV every time you enter and re-enter Canada. It is advisable to always have a valid TRV in case there are emergencies back home, and you have to leave and return to Canada on short notice.

TRV Extensions

The documents current students need to apply for a TRV  or TRV extension are:

  • Passport: You must provide a digital copy of the page that shows your birth date and country of origin, and any pages with stamps, visas or markings. Put all pages into one PDF. Please refer to “How to combine documents”.
  • Proof of Means of Financial Support: This can be your bank statements for the past four months, proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees. etc.
  • Digital photo: Please refer to the digital photo requirement of International Experience Canada.
  • Most Recent Transcript and Study Permit. You can get a copy of your transcript from The Hub.
  • Proof of Next Term Enrolment: You must provide official proof from Confederation College stating that you will be enrolled in the next semester. You can get this letter from the Hub.
  • Proof of medical exam – E-medical (if applicable): Please refer to Medical exam requirements for temporary residents.

The application fee is $100.

Should you need to extend your TRV, the IEC regularly offers workshops that explain the application process, and answer your questions. Please check the IEC Blackboard announcements to find out the dates and times, and to register for a workshop.

The information provided may change without notice. Please refer to the IRCC Website for the latest updates. Students are responsible to follow all IRCC rules and regulations.