What is a Study Permit?

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows international students to study in Canada.  International students who study in Canada for six months or less, do not require a study permit. Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as if you are allowed to work in Canada.

Remember, your study permit is not a visa. It does not allow you to enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). Depending on the country you are from,  IRCC may issue you an eTA with your study permit. However, if IRCC does not issue an eTA, you will need to apply separately for a visitor visa or a TRV (temporary resident visa).

Your responsibilities as an international student studying in Canada are:

  • make progress towards completing your program

  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit

  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and

  • leave Canada when your permit expires


Guide to applying for your Study Permit Extension

Refer to the guides below to complete your Study Permit Extension application. 

Please note: These are not legal documents. For legal information, refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations where applicable. You can also refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for updated information at www.cic.gc.ca

For more details about Study Permit Extension and what it means, please read the below text carefully. For any other queries, email [email protected]


Important Regulations

How long can you stay in Canada with a study permit?

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days allows you to prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

1. If you are taking prerequisite courses such as pre-health and pre-technology programs

If Confederation College asks you to take courses before it accepts you into the main program (i.e. you have conditional acceptance), your study permit will be valid for the length of those courses, plus 1 year. When you are accepted into the main program, you must then apply to extend your stay as a student.

2. If you will finish your studies after your study permit expires

If you do not finish your courses before the date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay as a student.
If you do not, you will need to stop studying and leave Canada.

3. If you finish your studies before your study permit expires

If you finish your studies early, your permit will become invalid 90 days after you complete your studies, no matter the expiry date printed on the study permit.

The 90 day are calculated from the date that you have been notified by Confederation College that you have officially completed your studies. This notification may take the form of a graduation email, a final transcript or a graduation letter.

Students studying an English language program for one semester and then planning to take a post-secondary program  - Please speak with one of our advisors, as a revised study permit will have to be applied for, once you are ready to start your post secondary program.

Returning home while studying

If you leave Canada during your studies, you will need to show proof you are enrolled in Confederation College when you return to Canada. If you have a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA), it must also still be valid when you return to Canada.

How to apply for a study permit extension

Study Permit Extension Workshops

The IEC regularly offers a "Study Permit Extension" workshop to students that explains the application process, and answers your questions. Please come by the IEC to find out the dates and times, and to register.

The documents you need to apply are:

  1. Application Form (IMM 5709 - Application to Change Conditions, Extend Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student)
  2. Passport: You must provide a digital copy of the page that shows your birth date and country of origin, and any pages with stamps, visas or markings.
  3. Proof of Means of Financial Support: This should be enough to cover one year of living cost ($20,635 approx.) and tuition fees.  Evidence of funds can be done by bank statements for the past four months, proof of payment of tuition, advance payment for residence etc.

  4. Digital photo: Please refer to the digital photo requirement of International Experience Canada.  You may show the requirement to your photographer, so he or she can help you make a digital copy.

  5. Letter of Enrolment/Registration: The letter should include how long you have been studying at that institution, and your expected graduation date. You can get this letter from the IEC.

  6. Co-op Letter (if applying co-op work permit): This letter must include details of the work to be performed, and the specific number of hours per semester. You can get this letter from the IEC.

  7. Proof of medical exam – E-medical (if applicable): Please refer to Medical exam requirements for temporary residents. Medical exam requirements for temporary residents.

The application fee is $150.

The information provided on this page may change without notice. Please refer to the IRCC Website for the most recent updates. Students are solely responsible for following IRCC rules and regulations.