Post-Graduate Work Permit Applications

Work in Canada after you graduate

If you graduated from Confederation College, and want to stay and work in Canada, you may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

The length of a PGWP will depends on the length of your study program. If your program was:

  • less than 8 months - you are not eligible for a PGWP
  • more than 8 months but less than 2 years - your PGWP may be valid for up to the same length as your study program (for example, if you completed a 9-month program, a work permit may be issued for up to 9 months)
  • 2 years or more - a PGWP may be issued for up to three (3) years

If you completed more than one program, you may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program. For this, each of the programs you completed must be:

  • PGWP-eligible and
  • at least 8 months in length.

Please note: You are only eligible for a PGWP once. You cannot get a PGWP if you already had one.


Guide to applying for your PGWP

Refer to the guides below to complete your PGWP application. 

Please note: These are not legal documents. For legal information, refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations where applicable. You can also refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for updated information at

For more details about PGWP and what it means, please read the below text carefully. For any other queries, email [email protected]


Important regulations


You have 180 days after Confederation College issues your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

To be eligible, your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days.

You must also have:

  • successfully graduated from a study program:
    • that was at least 8 months long and
    • that led to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • maintained full-time status continuously as a student in Confederation College during each semester of your study program (except for your final semester, which can be part-time)

You are not eligible for a PGWP if you:

  • already received a post-graduation work permit
  • only studied English or French as a second language (if no other program)
  • took general interest or self-improvement courses
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
  • completed the majority of a study program by distance learning (online courses, e-learning or correspondence)


Special Cases

Accelerated programs

If you complete your study program in less time than the normal length of the program, you may be eligible for a PGWP valid for the full length of your program. For example, if you complete a 1-year study program in 8 months, you may be able to get a PGWP valid for 1 year.

Distance learning

If distance learning makes up less than 50% of your study program, you may be eligible for a PGWP. Any distance courses completed outside Canada would not be included in the length of the PGWP.    If distance learning makes up more than 50% of your study program, you are not eligible for a PGWP.

PGWP Application Workshops and the Application Process

The IEC regularly offers workshops to students that explain the application process, and answer your questions. Please come by the IEC to find out the dates and times, and to register for a workshop.

The documents you need to apply for a PGWP are:

  1. Complete the application form: Found here

  2. Passport: You must provide a digital copy of the page that shows your birth date and country of origin, and any pages with stamps, visas or markings. Put all pages into one PDF. Please refer to “How to combine documents”.
  3. Digital photo: Please refer to the digital photo requirement of International Experience Canada. You may show the requirement to your photographer, so he or she can help you make a digital copy.

  4. Final transcript and graduation letter stating that you have completed your program. 

  5. Proof of medical exam – E-medical (if applicable): Please refer to Medical exam requirements for temporary residents.

The application fee is $155, and open work permit holder fee is $100.

The information provided may change without notice. Please refer to the IRCC Website for the newest updates. Students are solely responsible for following IRCC rules and regulations.