Ongoing Support - International Education Centre

IEC services header

The International Education Centre (IEC) assists students throughout their academic journey - before you arrive, during your studies and as you are about to graduate.  

While studying at the college, the IEC also advocates on your behalf and acts as a liaison with other departments and services to ensure international students have the skills, support and advice they need to succeed in their studies and reach their career goals.

Services offered by IEC:

  • Acts as a liaison and refers international students to relevant departments and services
  • Advocates for international students
  • Arranges mandatory health insurance coverage for international students and Canadian students studying abroad
  • Delivers scholarships to international students
  • Offers immigration and academic advising to international students
  • Organizes cultural and recreational activities during the year
  • Promotes social connections through an active Facebook Page, with international specific information
  • Promotes diversity within the College
  • Provides English language training in our ESL (English as a Second Language)and EAP (English for Academic Purposes) programs
  • Provides international students with an in-depth orientation to Confederation College and Thunder Bay
  • Facilitates on-campus and home-stay accommodation for international students;
  • Serves as a first point of contact for international students for emergencies, issues or concerns

Services available elsewhere, on and off campus:

  • Transcripts (these can be picked up at The Hub)
  • Booking meetings with faculty and instructors
  • Employment help (but we do offer workshops on resume writing and job search)
  • Off-Campus housing (we can direct you to helpful websites)

Please note: Payment plans are not available. Payments are due on the day stated on your LOA or in the academic calendar; payment plans are not available at Confederation.

Our International Student Advisors assist with a broad range of academic and immigration matters that pertain to international students. 

  • Unfortunately, there are some areas that we cannot assist with, and these include:
    • Spousal immigration questions or spousal applications such as work permits.
    • Permanent residency applications.
    • Completion of immigration applications..... but we will show you how to complete them yourself.
    • Calls to IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) for students.  Students can easily call themselves at 1-888-242-2100  (have your UCI number and application number ready).
    • Creating travel letters.....but we will show you how to do this yourself.

We also cannot help with US visa applications or visa applications for any other countries.


For Students Facing Significant Financial Difficulties:
A Payment Plan May Be Available

Payment plans may be available for eligible students, who have already completed one year of study at Confederation College and who are facing undue hardship and financial need.

Application Details:
To apply for a payment plan, students must meet eligibility criteria (see below) and submit:

  • A complete application form;
  • A copy of their most recent transcript;
  • Banking & credit card statements for the previous four months;
  • A budget; and
  • A statement of need.


Application Submission Dates:
Payment plan applications will be considered two weeks prior to the registration date for each semester.  Applications submitted before that date OR after the first day of class will not be considered.  Application forms may be requested three weeks prior to the registration start date.

Eligibility Criteria:
To apply for a payment plan, you must:

  • Be entering 3rd or 4th semester of studies at Confederation College (this may be in your first or second program of study at Confederation College);
  • Clearly demonstrate financial need;
  • Be actively pursuing your studies, & attending all classes;
  • Be in good academic standing with a minimum program GPA of 2.0;
  • Have complied with the terms of any previous payment plan; and
  • Have no fees outstanding or owed to the College.


Please Note: 

  • Students entering the first or second semester of study at Confederation College are not eligible to apply for a payment plan.
  • Incomplete applications will not be considered.
  • Submission of an application does not guarantee approval.
  • An administration fee of $75.00 and a late fee of $150.00 will be added to all payment plans.

Application forms may be requested three weeks prior to the semester registration start date, by contacting: [email protected]