Shelter in Place (SAFE Campus)
The Shelter in Place strategy will be implemented in the case of an external environmental threat in the vicinity of the college.
- chemical spill or gas leak in neighbourhood
- presence of smoke or fire in vicinity
- extreme weather conditions
NOTE: If the environmental threat, such as gas vapours from an external gas leak, is already present in a building, you may be directed to evacuate, rather than to initiate a a Shelter in Place.
If Shelter in Place becomes necessary:
- return indoors / don’t go outdoors
- remain inside while the Shelter in Place is in effect
- close exterior doors, including overhead doors
- shut down processes that require ventilation (e.g. fume hoods, paint booths, grills, etc..)
- close windows and window coverings
- turn off cell phones and electronic devices
- do not call the Switchboard (The Hub), Security, or other College departments or schools for information
- continue regular indoor routines; keep learners in class until the Shelter in Place has been lifted
- remain in place until advised by public announcement that the Shelter in Place has been lifted