Hazardous Materials Prevention Strategies (SAFE Campus)
- Obtain material safety data sheets (MSDS) for hazardous materials controlled under the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS). Obtain product information sheets for non-WHMIS-controlled products.
- Before using a hazardous material, review the MSDS or product information sheet. Focus on handling and use, first aid, spill, fire and explosion instructions.
- Obtain special first aid supplies, as outlined on the MSDS or product information sheet (e.g. 2 1/2 % calcium gluconate for skin exposures to hydrofluoric acid, etc.).
- Obtain or ensure availability of necessary spill kits, cleanup materials and personal protective equipment, before starting work with the hazardous material.
- Ensure that the fire extinguisher in your facility is appropriate to the type of hazardous materials in use.
- Review the location and operation of eyewash stations and emergency showers.
- Revise your chemical inventory annually; more often if you are using hazardous materials with a recommended shelf life of less than one year.
- If you are in charge of a space in which hazardous materials are stored, handled or used, ensure that your department or school WHMIS contact person has your current business and after-hours emergency contact numbers.
Material Safety Data Sheets.
If you are using, handling or storing WHMIS-controlled products in your department, school or program, you must have access to a current Material Safety Data Sheet (i.e. less than three years old based on the creation date found on the MSDS).
- For information on MSDS’s and instructions on retrieving MSDS’s, check the Public Safety website at www.confederationcollege.ca/publicsafety/whmis
- The College’s master file of MSDS’s for WHMIS-controlled hazardous products is maintained at: https://sms.wellnetsolutions.com
- If you are purchasing WHMIS-controlled hazardous materials with a credit card or cash, request a copy of the MSDS and forward a copy to Human Resources Services. Advise your department or school WHMIS contact to update your (department or school) inventory.
- Updates of MSDS’s can be obtained by providing basic product information to our MSDS partner, WellNet Solutions.