If you discover a fire or detect smoke:
- Leave the immediate area of the fire.
- Warn people in the area to evacuate.
- If the fire alarm is not sounding, activate the fire alarm by using the nearest pull station.
- From a safe location, call 922 (from a College phone) or 807-623-0465 (from a cell phone), or direct someone else to call 922 (from a College phone) or 807-623-0465 (from a cell phone).
HOT TIP: If you have received fire extinguisher training, and can safely do so, extinguish the fire. Leave the area if you cannot control the fire.
On notification of a fire emergency:
- Calmly proceed to the nearest exit.
- Close, but do not lock doors.
- Use the stairs: do not use the elevator.
- Follow the instructions of Fire Wardens, Security Guards, other College staff, or emergency personnel.
- If weather is inclement, move to the nearest safe building.
- Re-enter the building when notified by emergency, Security Guards, or other College personnel that it is safe to do so.