NOTE: for your convenience, Admission Requirements for a specific program can be easily found in the individual program websites …
General Overview of Admission Requirements
Our minimum admission requirement for most post-secondary programs is an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) with a minimum of a Grade 12 College or University level English, and with a minimum of 2 senior credits at the college, college/university or university preparation level. Some programs do have additional admission requirements. Please refer to the individual program websites for program-specific admission requirements, or contact our Admissions department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (807) 475-6213.
If you don’t have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), we also recognize Ontario Secondary School Diploma Equivalencies. See below for Admission Equivalencies.
Admission Requirements for Mature Students
Applicants 19 years of age or older (on or before a program begins) and who do not possess an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or its equivalent, may be eligible for admission.
Mature applicants will have demonstrated the required competence level:
- on our Mature Student Assessment; or
- as a graduate of an accredited post-secondary institution; or
- through successful completion of the recommended courses in our Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) program.
Mature student applicants must meet any specific entrance requirements of the program to which they are applying. Please refer to the individual program websites for specific admission requirements which may require additional courses to be completed in the math or science areas to meet eligibility for the program.
Applicants can schedule a time to write our Mature Student Assessment by calling our Testing Centre at (807) 475-6476. Testing dates are scheduled for every 2nd Thursday; however, the Testing Centre may be able to accommodate requests for individual test times.
Admission Requirements for Direct Entry Programs
Confederation College offers Preparatory Studies Programs for applicants who require certain academic skills or readiness experience to be successful in a post-secondary program of study. To qualify, applicants for Preparatory Studies Programs must be 19 years of age or over, on or before the first day of class.
Successful completion of these direct entry programs may qualify the applicant for consideration for admission into other post-secondary programs in a subsequent year.
Confederation College is currently developing an admissions policy for home-schooled applicants interested in post-secondary programs. In the interim, applicants will be reviewed on an individual basis and are encouraged to apply through the ontariocolleges.ca website and provide supporting documents to the Admissions department for assessment.
Confederation College will recognize the following as equivalent to the Ontario Secondary School Diploma:
- Secondary school graduation diploma issued by another Canadian province; or
- Successful General Educational Development (GED) diploma; or
- General Certificates of Education at the ordinary level (with credits in 5 appropriate courses) from the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries; or
- Senior Middle School with minimum grade average of 60% from China; or
- Hong Kong English School Certificate with passes in six academic courses; or
- Grade 12 diploma from the United States (with a minimum of 16 credit units including 4 English credits); or
- All Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), All India Senior School Certificate; Pre-University Exam Certificate or Intermediate Exam Certificate from India; or
Academic & Career Entrance Certificate (ACE).
Get full details regarding English proficiency requirements.
Applicants who have been educated in a system where English is not the official academic language must provide proof of English proficiency. For diploma programs we require one of the following:
- iBT TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
61 minimum score (internet-based test)
500 minimum score (paper-based test)
173 minimum score (computer-based test)
Note: Our Health programs require a minimum score of 80 (internet), 550 (paper) or 213 (computer)
- IELTS (International English Language Test) - 6.5 minimum score
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment) - 75 minimum score
- CPE (Cambridge Proficiency Exam) - Level 1 minimum
- CAEL (Canadian Adult English Language Assessment) - 60 minimum score
For Ontario College Graduate Certificate (Post-Diploma) programs we require the following scores:
- iBT TOEFL - 80 minimum score
IELTS - 6.5 minimum score