Accessibility Services (Disability Services)

Confederation College is committed to providing academic accommodations to students who have permanent and temporary disabilities.

The needs of each student are unique; therefore, documentation outlining the functional limitations of a permanent or temporary disability is required.  Interim accommodations may be provided to students who are being assessed or waiting on documentation.

All disability documentation is kept secure in the office of Student Accessibility Services. 

Our qualified staff can:

  • work with you to develop an Accommodation Plan (AP) or a Field Placement Identification Plan 
  • help you develop strategies for success
  • provide ongoing monitoring and support
  • help you access alternate format textbooks and resources
  • recommend and train you on assistive technology
  • help you access the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) to assist with disability related purchases
  • set up test accommodations and note takers
  • provide information about the identification process if you suspect you have a disability

It is important to recognize that provision of services is a shared responsibility between students, faculty, administration, and Student Accessibility Services. This relationship is based on respect of individual rights and the dignity of the individual, and the College community's shared commitment to an open, supportive learning environment.

If you have a disability, we recommend that you contact us as early as possible after acceptance to a course or program.


Please Note: Use of Student Accessibility Services, including accommodations, is strictly voluntary.  All students are considered to be independent adults and it is ultimately the student's decision and responsibility to access supports/services through SAS. 


Accessing Services

Follow these steps to access our services:


Step One: Collect Your Documentation

Documentation is confirmation of a permanent or temporary disability from a recognized medical professional. Documentation guides Student Accessibility Services' staff in the selection of accommodations to meet your specific academic needs.  

To find out what type of documentation to submit, select a link below.

Documentation can be forwarded to SAS by fax (807) 473-3744 or by email [email protected]


Step Two: Make an Appointment With Student Accessibility Services

Contact SAS to arrange an appointment.   Accommodations and supports will not be implemented without the student's involvement.

This initial appointment will give you the opportunity to ask questions and get further clarification on the services and accommodations available. If you have not forwarded your documentation to Student Accessibility Services, please bring it with you to this appointment. 

Call (807) 475-6618 or email to make an appointment.  New students can also connect with SAS by completing the Confidential Intake Form


Step Three: Assist in Developing your Accommodation Plan (AP)

Once your timetable is established, connect with SAS again to develop an Accommodation Plan (AP).  This formal, confidential document outlines the accommodations you are entitled to access.   

Accommodation Plans will not be released without the student's signature or consent.  Once signed and/or consent is provided, copies will be distributed to each faculty member listed on the student's timetable for that semester.

If required, a separate Field Placement Identification Plan can be prepared upon the student's request.

*Please note:  Students are required to notify SAS at the start of each semester in order to renew their AP's.