Start Dates & Ontario Colleges Program Codes:
Fall Start (September): 0396
Winter Start (January): 0348
Design Our Digital Future
Our world is becoming more automated all of the time. Building control systems, manufacturing processes, industrial robotics, power generation and distribution, and thousands of other processes.
They all rely on electrical equipment and digital processes to keep them operating properly and communicating to each other. But it still takes a person to design, program, install and maintain all of that equipment. Could that person be you?
Confederation College’s Electrical Engineering Technology advanced three-year diploma program is an advanced program of study that places special emphasis on computerized electronic control applications using state-of-the-art DCS, PLCs, drive systems, as well as today’s leading panel and PC-based SCADA/HMI packages. You’ll learn about electronics and computer fundamentals, applied mathematics, telecommunications, networks, automation control systems, process control systems and power systems.
- Learn about electric machines and drives, PLCs, computer networks, wireless technology, power systems, embedded control systems, process control systems
- Two optional Co-ops give you a work experience in your field of study
- Recognized by the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT)
- Continue on to a university engineering degree and a career path as a professional engineer through Lakehead University's transfer program
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- analyze, interpret, and produce electrical and electronics drawings, technical reports including other related documents and graphics.
- analyze and solve complex technical problems related to electrical systems by applying mathematics and science principles.
- design, use, verify, and maintain instrumentation equipment and systems.
- design, assemble, test, modify, maintain and commission electrical equipment and systems to fulfill requirements and specifications under the supervision of a qualified person.
- commission and troubleshoot static and rotating electrical machines and associated control systems under the supervision of a qualified person.
- design, assemble, analyze, and troubleshoot electrical and electronic circuits, components, equipment and systems under the supervision of a qualified person.
- design, install, analyze, assemble and troubleshoot control systems under the supervision of a qualified person.
- use computer skills and tools to solve a range of electrical related problems.
- create, conduct and recommend modifications to quality assurance procedures under the supervision of a qualified person.
- prepare reports and maintain records and documentation systems.
- design, install, test, commission and troubleshoot telecommunication systems under the supervision of a qualified person.
- apply and monitor health and safety standards and best practices to workplaces.
- perform and monitor tasks in accordance with relevant legislation, policies, procedures, standards, regulations, and ethical principles.
- configure installation and apply electrical cabling requirements and system grounding and bonding requirements for a variety of applications under the supervision of a qualified person.
- design, commission, test and troubleshoot electrical power systems under the supervision of a qualified person.
- select and recommend electrical equipment, systems and components to fulfill the requirements and specifications under the supervision of a qualified person.
- apply project management principles to contribute to the planning, implementation, and evaluation of projects.
Graduates of the technology program have been successful in positions working with electrical power generation, electrical power distribution, industrial automation and controls, telecommunications, computer networking, engineering firms, electrical and electronic design, electronics repair and maintenance, and the electrical trades, to name a few. VIEW ... a list of companies that hire our graduates ...
Graduates of the three-year program often have the advantage in hiring situations and go on to advanced positions including design and managerial positions and tend to earn a higher salary.