Start Dates & Ontario Colleges Program Codes:
Fall Start (September): 0139
Fall Start (September) - Accelerated program: 0162
Each year a number of seats will be available to people with a university degree in a related field or a community college graduate with a diploma from a human/community service program. Students must apply to www.ontariocolleges.ca and must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 or higher average. A transcript is required. The program is comprised of courses from the first and second year of the program. The duration is 2 semesters, from September to May.
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- conduct oneself in an ethical, competent and accountable manner in all professional relationships.
- provide person-directed supports and services that respect and promote self-determination for people with developmental disabilities.
- provide for the safety of people with developmental disabilities, self and others in compliance with all applicable legislation, regulations and standards of practice.
- support health and well-being of people with developmental disabilities.
- employ and adapt formal and informal strategies to support the learning of people with developmental disabilities.
- provide leadership in the development of inclusive communities.
- develop professional and personal plans that enhance job performance and well-being.
Graduates of the Developmental Services Worker go on to support people with disabilities across the lifespan. They find positions in a variety of settings in Thunder Bay and region, including: Avenue II, Brain Injury Services of Northern Ontario, City of Thunder Bay Recreation & Culture Division Inclusion Services, Community Living Thunder Bay, Dilico, OPTIONS northwest, Lakehead Public Schools, Superior Greenstone Association for Community Living, Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board, and more.
Roles include Student Support Professional, Employment Support Specialist, Residential/Community Support Worker, Independent Contractor, Advocate, Family Support Worker and others.
Explore careers, current wages, employment stats, job postings, and associated education & training.