NOTE: Intake for the 3rd year (Technologist) option is now being offered for Fall, 2023 only.
Also check out our TWO year Civil Engineering Technician program for first year entry ...
Help Build Tomorrow’s Cities!
A Civil Engineering Technologist plays a key role in the health, safety and economic well-being of our communities.
As a graduate of our three-year program (one additional year after graduating from our Civil Engineering Technician program), you will gain knowledge in the design, construction and operation of water, storm and sanitary systems, roads, railways, bridges and buildings. At Confederation College, our small class sizes mean you will get great practical hands-on experience with current technology used in the industry today, including Computer-Aided-Drafting (CAD), Building Information Modelling (BIM), Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Surveying.
If you have good math skills, a logical mind and the desire to build upon the world around you, the Civil Engineering Technology program will give you the tools you need to succeed.
- Program is up-to-date with the technology used in the field today
- Planned work experience plus optional co-op work placements give you experience in the field
- Work in a variety of fields including city building, maintenance, mining, roads and highways, rail, specialty projects, and more - anywhere around the world!
- Continue on to a university degree through articulation agreements ...
The photo gallery includes: Introductory Surveying - first year fall semester, (CE 411) Structural Design Steel- Site visit to Coastal Steel's fabrication facility, (CE 125) Construction Materials and Methods - Proctor compaction test, (CE 125) Construction Materials and Methods - Nuclear gage soils testing, (CE 425) Materials Testing - Concrete compression test, (CE 330) Geomatics - surveying with GPS
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- develop and use strategies to enhance professional growth and ongoing learning in the civil engineering field.
- comply with workplace health and safety practices and procedures in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- complete duties and monitor that work is performed in compliance with contractual obligations, applicable laws, standards, bylaws, codes and ethical practices in the civil engineering field.
- promote and carry out sustainable practices in accordance with contract documents, industry standards and environmental legislative requirements.
- facilitate the collaboration and interaction among the project team and project stakeholders to support civil engineering projects.
- collect, process, analyze and coordinate technical data to produce written and graphical project-related documents.
- use industry-specific electronic and digital technologies to support civil engineering projects.
- participate in the design and modeling phase of civil engineering projects by applying engineering concepts, technical mathematics and principles of science to the review, production and/or modification of project plans.
- contribute to the scheduling and coordination and cost estimation of civil engineering projects and monitor their progression by applying principles of construction project management.
- coordinate and perform quality control testing and evaluate equipment, materials and methods used in the implementation and completion of civil engineering projects.
- apply teamwork, leadership, supervision and interpersonal skills when working individually or within multidisciplinary teams to complete civil engineering projects.
We have a work placement in second year, with many students working full time at these organizations upon graduation. As a qualified Civil Engineering Technologist, there are many career paths available to you. Our students find employment in project planning and design, testing soils, concrete and other construction materials, cost estimating, construction inspection and supervision, contract administration, management and infrastructure maintenance, restoration and repair. Graduates from our program are highly sought after by employers. Employment opportunities in this field are available locally, regionally and around the world. As a graduate of this program you will find entry level opportunities with consultants, contractors and government at the municipal, provincial and federal levels. With experience, you can expect to move on to management positions within these organizations.