Start Dates & Ontario Colleges Program Codes:
Fall Start (September): 0383
Can you build it? Yes, you can!
Good with your hands, love working in the outdoors, and enjoy the challenges that building brings?
The carpentry and renovation field continues to grow in northwestern Ontario and throughout Canada. That means more jobs for fewer people – will you be one of the lucky ones to take advantage of this trend?
The carpenter is the backbone of the building industry for residential, commercial, and industrial building. Confederation College’s Carpentry & Renovation Techniques one-year certificate program will provide you with hands-on skills along with in-class learning to give you a strong background in the Carpentry and Renovation fields. The building process with construction, safety, materials, blueprint reading, estimating and masonry will provide you with the entry level knowledge you need to be successful.
- One-year course allows you to join the workforce faster
- Course also covers safety standards for working on job sites
- Combines class work with hands-on learning to improve your knowledge and skills
- Plenty of one-on-one, personalized instruction
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- identify and use strategies to enhance work performance and continued learning to keep pace with industry changes.
- identify and adhere to established health and safety practices that apply to specific job sites, in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- perform building construction and renovation tasks in compliance with contracts, the Ontario and/or National Building Codes, applicable laws and industry’s ethical practices.
- work in accordance with established sustainability practices.
- communicate and collaborate with diverse clients, supervisors and tradespersons to complete projects on time and to maintain effective working relationships.
- assist with maintaining accurate project documents and use computer technologies to support building construction and renovation projects.
- solve on-site trade-related building and renovation problems by applying principles of basic technical mathematics and building science.
- select, maintain and safely operate hand tools, and portable and stationary power tools, to efficiently complete building construction and renovation.
- assist with the completion of building and renovation stages, from site layout and footing to the application of interior and exterior finishes, according to specifications.
- assist in the preparation of material estimations according to building construction and renovation project documents.
Graduates of the Carpentry and Renovation Techniques program will be able to apply for carpenter helper and labour entry jobs with the many construction and restoration companies across northwestern Ontario, where you’ll be able to build upon your skills learned and perhaps even specialize in certain areas.
Explore careers, current wages, employment stats, job postings, and associated education & training.