FAQ's for Parents

How does my son/daughter apply to college?

Students apply online. at www.ontariocolleges.ca The application fee is paid online by Visa or Mastercard, or you can send a cheque or money order directly to OCAS. Encourage your son or daughter to review the college’s programs to research what interests them. If they're not sure or have questions, our Recruitment Officers are available to assist . Please call (807) 475-6110 for further assistance.

Potential students should view all Admission Requirements for their particular program(s) of choice to ensure all are met before applying. If Admission Requirements are not met, please consider our Preparatory Studies programs.

Visit the Admissions website for further information regarding Admission Services.

How much information can the College give me about my son or daughter?

The College cannot give out any information about its students without their consent - even if you are paying for their tuition and other costs such as residence fees. Students must visit the Registration / Admissions department in order to grant a third party to act on their behalf.

What kind of scholarships does the College offer?

There's a wide range of scholarships for both entering and continuing students. Our Financial Aid office has all of our information regarding scholarships, bursaries and awards. Eligibility criteria and target groups vary so it's worth encouraging your son or daughter to review and see if they may qualify. Students should look early and pay attention to deadlines.

How much will it cost and how do I pay?

Information regarding tuition, fees and other costs is available on our Admissions website, while information on the cost of living in residence is found at Residence Services. Once your son or daughter is registered, he or she will be able to check how much they owe by logging in to our College Information System. For assistance on procedures for logging in please call the Help Desk at (807) 475-6488.

Parents can find out the balance owing by calling the Financial Services office with their son/daughter's student ID number. Payments can be made at the Information Hub using cash, cheque, money order, credit card, Interac Debit card, or via cheque by mail.

Is residence accommodation available?

Confederation College has several residence buildings on campus. Residence is available in several options; single room with bath, single room with shared bath, double room with bath, double room with shared bath and super single. What parking and transit options does the College have? The College has various parking options - electrified and non-electrified spots and numerous metered areas.

There are also excellent transit options for those travelling from other parts of Thunder Bay, car pooling, and parking for bicycles. All Full-Time students receive a U-Pass which allows them to use the Thunder Bay Transit system anytime they need during the academic year. The campus is near a network of multi-use paths as well, and city buses are now equipped with bike racks.

Can my son or daughter begin studies in their home community?

Students have a variety of options when it comes to methods of studying. Some programs are offered via Distance Education delivery. Courses can be taken online, or at other locations if desired.

The College also has campuses in several northern communities including Dryden, Kenora, Fort Frances, Red Lake, Marathon, Sioux Lookout, Geraldton and Wawa.

What is available at the Confederation College (Follett) Bookstore?

Confederation College Follett Bookstore serves the students, faculty and staff of the College, as well as the public. It provides a wide range of merchandise, including new and used textbooks, general interest books, school supplies and Confederation College wear as well as College merchandise.

When do classes begin/end? When is the College closed?

Many of the important dates such as the first and last day of classes, College closure dates and the dates for convocation can be found in our Academic Calendar.

Where can I learn more about Convocation?

Two convocation ceremonies are held usually the first Friday in each June at the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium. Further information and exact dates can be found on the Convocation website.

Further questions?

Please call the Information Hub at (807) 475-6110, or email us at [email protected].