Start Dates & Ontario Colleges Program Codes:
Fall Start (September): 0135
A Healthy Start to Your Academic Career!
Need a little extra help before entering a postsecondary health program? Don’t have all the necessary pre-requisites? Or are you a returning student who wants to “ease into” college with refresher courses?
Confederation College’s Pre-Health Sciences program can help. The program is divided into two streams, the college stream and the university stream, depending on what direction you plan to take.
The Pathways to Certificates and Diplomas stream of the program (formerly called "College Stream") is for students who want to go on to college health programs including Practical Nursing, Paramedic, and Dental Hygiene. Topics covered include pre-health math (college preparation), health care in Canada, chemistry, introductory biology and communications for health professionals.
The Pathways to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees program (formerly called "University Stream") is designed to upgrade your skills and knowledge for a variety of university health programs including the Collaborative Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Medical Radiation Technology. Topics covered include pre-health math (university preparation), health care in Canada, advanced chemistry, human biology and communications for health professionals.
- Upgrade your skills and learning to prepare you for a career in health care
- Get specialized training depending on whether you plan to go to college or university
- Get a head start on your future programs with a solid understanding of health care and related topics
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- examine fundamental biological concepts, processes and systems of the human body, including the structure, function and properties of the molecules of life, cells, tissues and organ systems in relation to homeostasis and health.
- examine fundamental concepts, processes and systems of chemistry, including matter and chemical bonding; quantities in chemical reactions; solutions and solubility; acids and bases; as well as nomenclature, structure and properties of organic compounds in relation to health and the human body.
- solve basic numeric problems and interpret data related to health sciences and other science-related fields using mathematical concepts, including algebra, basic probability and descriptive statistics.
- use health sciences and other science-related language and terminology appropriately to communicate clearly, concisely, and correctly in written, spoken, and visual forms.
- prepare a personal strategy and plan for academic, career and professional development in the health sciences or other science-related fields.
- investigate health sciences and science-related questions, problems and evidence using the scientific method.
Confederation College's Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas is a foundational step towards health science programs in Ontario. Designed for those seeking to enter health sciences college programs, it covers essential pre-health and pre-science courses. Graduates can pursue a diploma in health science in Canada or transition into specialized health science programs, including pre-med undergraduate programs in Ontario.
This pathway provides versatility for future careers in health sectors, with opportunities ranging from diplomas of health science pathways to various health-related roles.