Start Dates & Ontario Colleges Program Codes:
Fall Start (September): 0341
Nothing But Smiles All Around!
Like the thought of helping people look their best AND lead a healthy lifestyle?
Confederation College’s Dental Assisting (Levels I and II) certificate program will provide you with the knowledge and hands-on practical skills you need to work in a dental office. As a dental assistant, you’ll become a vital member of the oral health team who works in a collaborative, professional and ethical manner. The one-year certificate program prepares you for a variety of related tasks such as clinical chair-side assistant; laboratory, radiography, and/ or administration; and health education and promotion. Courses cover many topics such as microbiology, dental radiography theory, orofacial anatomy, dental materials, dental office procedures and medical interventions.
- Program covers all aspects of dental assisting so you are prepared for employment immediately following graduation
- Get on-the-job experience through placements so you can practice your skills in real-world situations
- Graduates are eligible to write the National Dental Assistants Board Exam (NDAEB) and successful completion allows them to practice anywhere in Canada
- Program is fully accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC)
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- maintain client and personal safety in the practice environment.
- contribute to the development of a comprehensive client profile by using a variety of data collection methods in collaboration with the client and other health professionals and in compliance with privacy legislation.
- contribute to the development of a comprehensive plan for oral health services and programs in collaboration with the client and other health professionals.
- provide oral health services and programs, as identified in the comprehensive plan and as permitted within the scope of practice.
- contribute to the evaluation and reporting of appropriate aspects of the oral health services and programs by using a variety of sources including the client profile.
- act in a professional and competent manner.
- maintain client records and manage office procedures in compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
Experiential Learning Opportunities
The Dental Assisting program at Confederation College offers a comprehensive blend of practical learning experiences, designed to provide students with the hands-on skills and real-world knowledge essential for success in the dental field. Our program uniquely integrates three key experiential learning components: Labs, Placement, and Clinic.
- Labs: Our state-of-the-art laboratories simulate a realistic dental office environment, allowing students to practice dental procedures, use dental equipment, and become proficient in safety and sanitation protocols under the guidance of experienced instructors.
- Field Placement: Students have the opportunity to engage in field placements, offering on-the-job experience in a real-world setting. This component allows students to apply the theories and skills learned in the classroom to practical situations, enhancing their understanding and competence in dental assisting practices.
- Clinic: The program includes clinical experience where students work directly with patients under professional supervision. This exposure is crucial for developing interpersonal skills, understanding patient care procedures, and gaining confidence in performing a wide range of dental assisting tasks.
Through these experiential learning options, students graduate from the Dental Assisting program well-prepared to enter the workforce as skilled, knowledgeable, and confident dental assistants.
As a graduate of this program, you may find employment in private dental offices, community dental clinics, hospital dental clinics, public health units and specialty dental practices such as Orthodontics, Paedodontics, Periodontics, Endodontics, Oral Maxilla Facial Surgery, and Dental Sales Representative. Career categories include prospective positions such as Chair-side Level I Dental Assistant, Level II Dental Assistant, Administrative Assistant, Public Health Assistant, Educator or Dental Sales Representative.
Explore careers, current wages, employment stats, job postings, and associated education & training.