Start Dates & Ontario Colleges Program Codes:
Fall Start (September): 0694
This is a priority program eligible for the Ontario Learn and Stay Grant. Domestic students enrolled can apply for funding that will cover their tuition, compulsory fees, books and other direct educational costs (ex: supplies and equipment). Students must commit to working in the region where they study, helping communities get the workers they need for in-demand professions.
You are 911.
Paramedics are on the medical front line, helping people in distress and saving lives every day. They provide medical care in those critical first moments and transport them to the nearest hospital. Are you up for the challenge?
If so, Confederation College’s two-year Paramedic program will prepare you to work effectively as part of an emergency health team. You’ll learn emergency medical care in-class and in the field so you can care for patients safely and expertly. Topics include, patient care theory, anatomy and physiology, legal aspects of patient care, communications for paramedics, physical education and ambulance operations. Become an integral part of the emergency medical care team!
- Program includes field experience so you learn on-the-job in real medical situations (some placements outside of Thunder Bay)
- After graduation, you will be eligible to write the Ministry of Health and Long- Term Care Advanced Emergency Medical Care Attendant Certification Examination (A-EMCA)
- Graduates go onto a variety of work opportunities including urban Emergency Medical Services, hospitals, government agencies, community agencies and air ambulance
Paramedic Students Join the Fight Against COVID-19 ...
Program Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- communicate and interact effectively and appropriately with patients and others.
- assess patients using relevant theory and practices and in compliance with current legislation, regulations, standards, and best practice guidelines.
- establish patients’ treatment and transport priorities based on assessment findings.
- implement preventive and therapeutic patient management strategies to maintain and promote patients’ well-being in compliance with current legislation, regulations, standards, and best practice guidelines.
- integrate and perform delegated controlled medical acts in a simulated, clinical, and field setting.
- evaluate in an ongoing manner the effectiveness of patient management strategies used and adapt or change strategies to provide optimal care for patients.
- report and document patient information completely, accurately, and in a timely manner, in compliance with current legislation, regulations, standards, and applicable policies and procedures in a simulated, clinical, and/or field setting.
- ensure personal safety and contribute to the safety of partners, patients, and others.
- ensure the operational safety and preparedness of an ambulance and its equipment and operate an ambulance-type vehicle in a simulated setting.
- collaborate with a broad range of personnel such as first responders, paramedics, emergency services personnel, health care professionals, and other allied health care workers.
- integrate and meet legal, ethical, and professional responsibilities while providing optimal care for patients.
After graduation and successful completion of your Advanced Emergency Medical Care Attendant Certification Examination, you will be eligible to seek a position anywhere in Ontario with air and land ambulance services, hospitals, fire departments, government agencies and in the private sector. You may also go on to advanced training (Advanced Care Paramedic, Critical Care Paramedic, Community Paramedicine).
Explore careers, current wages, employment stats, job postings, and associated education & training.