Minor Chemical Spills (Indoors).
Respond to minor chemical spills which pose no immediate threat to health or damage to property, as follows:
- Notify occupants in the immediate area of the spill.
- Use spill kits to absorb and contain the spill.
- If unpleasant odours are generated, call 922.
- Place waste in an appropriate, sealed container in a secure, well-ventilated area.
- Arrange for chemical waste disposal through your Department or School. (Complete a Hazardous Waste Inventory Form, and to store the product until the waste can be picked-up.)
Major Chemical Spills (Indoors).
Respond to large chemical spills, or spills which pose a threat to health or damage to property, as follows:
- Evacuate the immediate area.
- If flammable chemicals were spilled, turn off spark-producing equipment and extinguish flames.
- Assist contaminated personnel with the use of the eyewash station and/or emergency shower.
- From a safe location, call 922. Identify the chemical involved, quantity spilled and hazards.
- Wait in a safe location and keep unauthorized staff out of the contaminated area.
- Provide the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) or Safety Data Sheet (SDS) to emergency responders.
Chemical Spills Outdoors.
In the case of all spills outdoors:
- Call 922, or direct someone else to call.
- Wait at the site until assistance arrives.
- Contain the spill rapidly by diking with suitable available material. Cover openings to sewers, if able to do so.