The Lockdown procedure is initiated when danger is present on the college site, and the safety of students, staff and the public is threatened.
- an active shooter is in the building
The Lockdown will be initiated by a public announcement over the Emergency Communication System.
If Lockdown becomes necessary:
- remain where you are, unless your location is not secure; if your location is not secure, move to the nearest shelter
- close doors, locking or barricading them when possible
- close windows and window coverings
- move away from doors and windows
- remain silent; silence all devices; turn off computer screens and projectors
- call 911 or contact Security (call 922) only if you have helpful information (e.g. location of suspect); do not make calls for information
- lie on the floor if gunshots are heard
- disregard fire alarms, unless there is evidence of an actual fire, or smoke/the odour of smoke is present
- prepare to evacuate the building or to relocate to another space if your security is compromised
- remain in place until advised by the Police
HOT TIP: When thinking about what you need to do if a Lockdown is announced, remember the following :
“Out of Sight. Out of Mind. Out of Harm’s Way”.