Students will register as Apprentices, the apprenticeship consists of an in-school portion and on the job training.
This program offers students all apprenticeship school hours needed in order to complete the in-school portion of their apprenticeship as well as meeting all the requirements for an Instrumentation Engineering Technician diploma. It will also allow applicants the opportunity to gain on the job experience towards completing the apprenticeship program.
The program consists of four academic semesters along with two mandatory 16-week co-op placements . After the second academic semester, students will participate in the first co-op work term. The second co-op term is scheduled after the fourth academic semester. Co-op placements provide students with hands-on experience above and beyond what traditional classroom instruction and laboratories can provide.
After successful completion for the 3rd semester, students will be eligible to apply for a $1,000 Apprenticeship Incentive Grant and after completing the 4th semester students will be eligible for to apply for a second $1,000 Apprenticeship Incentive Grant.
Graduates of Instrumentation Co-op Diploma Apprentice Program are invited to apply for the 3rd year of the Electronics Engineering Technology Program at Confederation College. *Students must successfully complete TC 435 and MA 431 to qualify.
Side-by-side course comparison between the Apprenticeship and Technician Programs. The courses highlighted in red are the added courses in the Apprenticeship program.
Click the links below to view the program flowcharts.
- Apprenticeship vs. Technician flowcharts
- Apprenticeship Course Flowchart Only
- Technician Course Flowchart Only
- Students apply and are accepted into the Instrumentation Engineering Technician program ontariocolleges.ca code (0334)
- Coordinator meets with students at the beginning of the semester and identifies the two possible streams with advantages, expectations, associated costs, etc. for each stream.
- Students interested in applying for the apprenticeship program at www.ontariocolleges.ca (Program Code: 0434) will follow the procedural steps outlined in the Application and Selection document.
- Successful candidates will be notified and transferred to the Apprenticeship program by October 15.
- Students must register for the two co-op/apprenticeship work placements
Application and Selection Document Download:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Where can I find more information about the Apprenticeship Incentive Grant?
The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant is available to students in the Instrumentation Co-op Diploma Apprenticeship Program. Upon successful completion of third and fourth semesters students will be eligible to apply for a $1,000 grant. For more information please visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/apprentices.html
Instrumentation Engineering Technician Program
Instrumentation Coop Diploma Apprenticeship Program
School of Engineering Technology and Skilled Trades
Tel. (807) 475-6128
Fax (807) 623-6507
Co-operative Education Specialist:
Co-operative Education Specialist
Tel. (807) 475-6517
Fax (807) 623-3956
Explore careers, current wages, employment stats, job postings, and associated education & training.