The English as a Second Language program is a full-time program that consists of two 14-week courses: one ESL level course followed by the English for Academic Purposes course. The program targets students who are prepared to enter Intermediate level English classes (IELTS 4.5 – 5). Students must complete an English Language Proficiency Test prior to arrival to assess their eligibility and placement.
The ESL program focuses on reading, writing, listening and speaking in an academic setting and uses interactive teaching methods to maximize student success. Progress in each level is determined through assignments, quizzes, tests, attendance, lab work and participation.
- Small classes with a diverse student body
- Bi-weekly cultural presentations and off-campus activities
- Interactive and communicative classes that highlight academic skills
- Access to the library, college services, computer labs and printing services
- Opportunities to join lots of college activities, and an English conversation group
- Fun, practical classes taught by experienced instructors
- Learn with the Oxford Q skills textbook series
Upcoming Session Dates
(all 14 week sessions):
2018 - 2019:
- Resident of Canada, OR international student with an intermediate level of English
- 18 years or older
- Proof of English: CLB 5, iBT TOEFL 55, IELTS 4.5, or PTE-A 30
Please note: Confederation College ESL programs are geared to students whose English Language Proficiency is above a minimum level of IELTS 3.0, iBT TOEFL 33, or CLB 3. Students must be able to convey and understand general meaning in familiar situations.
for 14-week ESL Session (23 hours per week)
$5,403 for International students (includes health insurance)
*Please note, these fees are for the 2018-2019 school year
How to Apply …
To apply, please visit How to Apply as an International Student.
ESL Program Officer
International Education Centre, Room 251
Phone: (807) 475-6405