Design Our Digital Future
Our world is becoming more automated all of the time. Building control systems, manufacturing processes, industrial robotics, power generation and distribution, homes and thousands of other processes. They all rely on electrical equipment and digital processes to keep them operating properly and communicating to each other. But it still takes a person to design, program, install and maintain all of that equipment. Could that person be you?
Confederation College’s Electrical Engineering Technology three-year diploma program is an advanced course of study that places special emphasis on computerized electronic control applications using state-of-the-art DCS, PLCs, drive systems, as well as today’s leading panel and PC-based SCADA/HMI packages. You’ll learn about electronics and computer fundamentals, applied mathematics, telecommunications, networks, automation control systems, process control systems and power systems.
- First year of study is common to Electronics Engineering Technician and Instrumentation Engineering Technician. This allows flexibility in deciding your final program choice
- Learn about electric machines and drives, PLCs, computer networks, wireless technology, power systems, embedded control systems, process control systems
- Two optional co-op work placements give you experience in the field
- Accredited by the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT)
- Continue on to a university engineering degree and a career path as a professional engineer through Lakehead University’s transfer program
Like the two-year program, graduates of the program usually go on to positions in network installation, repair and maintenance of electronics equipment. There are a wide range of opportunities including computer networking, industrial systems, heating and cooling systems, telecommunications, security systems, financial services, education, health care, manufacturing and database/information systems.
However, graduates of the three-year program often have the advantage in hiring situations, tend to go on to advanced positions including design and managerial positions and tend to earn a higher salary.
Explore careers, current wages, employment stats, job postings, and associated education & training.