Q. What is accreditation and what does it mean to me?
A. Accreditation simply means that the program has been heavily scrutinized by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada, and has met all requirements.   

Q. Do we work on “real” people?
A. Yes, initially all technique is learned on a mannequin head (preclinical) and then the student will begin to work on the public. We have a 24 chair dental clinic on campus and students see clients in a “real” environment. 

Q. Can I wear my own uniforms in the clinic? 
A.  Yes, Students may purchase their own uniforms however they must be of a solid colour, high waisted, short sleeved and a v neck. Two lab coats are also required. One lab coat must be white and the other  any colour of the students choosing. Lab coats must have full button or snap closure to the neck and a cuffed sleeve.

Q. Do we have to buy all of our instruments at Confederation College? 
A. Yes, the Confederation College Dental Hygiene and Dental Assisting (Levels I and II) programs will supply an instrument kit that will be available for purchase in Follett Book store at the college.  

Q. Who do I speak to about staying in residence? 
Please contact Kristi Robins regarding residential life at (807)-475-6383.

Q. How do I get credit for courses already taken in other programs?
A. Complete an “Assessment of Previous Formal Learning Application Form”. This form is available online on the college website at www.confederationc.on.ca.  Please read it carefully and ensure you include all necessary documentation. 

Q. What’s the workload like? 
A. The workload is demanding and it is recommended that students limit part-time employment.  

Q. Where will I get my patient’s from? 
A. The College clinic provides a client data base which will be available to the students.  Students will be responsible for bringing in a minimum of 2 new clients and developing their own client base in order to successfully complete their  requirements.

Q:  Is there a field placement component within the program?
A. Yes, there will be field placements incorporated throughout the program.  Due to the limited number of placement offices, some placements may have to be completed out of town and students will be responsible for all the associated costs.

Q. Are there extra costs involved with placement?
A. In DE 327 Clinical Consolidation, placements may be out-of-town and students are responsible for all associated costs.

Q. Is it advisable to have some computer skills before I come to college? 
A. Computer skills are an asset, however during the process of education a student will develop a variety of technological skills required for successful completion of the program.

Q. What CPR/FIRST AID course do I take? 
A. The Canadian Red Cross and St. John’s Ambulance both offer CPR and First Aid courses. We require a standard level First Aid course, as well as a Basic Rescuer or Heart Saver CPR course. You may find deciding between the courses available at either place can be confusing; as long as you have knowledge of emergency first aid care and are competent to perform CPR on adults and children, it will satisfy our requirements. This information must be submitted by August 2015 to the college prior to commencement of classes. Information may be dropped off at the Health Sciences offices, faxed (807) 473-3706, or mailed to:

Confederation College
P.O. Box 398, 1450 Nakina Drive
Thunder Bay, On. Canada
P7C 4W1
Attention: Ruth Bushby

Q. Why do I need a police record check for the vulnerable sector?
A. Students will be required to go on placement in Long term care facilities, schools and dental offices. These placements require a criminal record check. This information must be submitted by August 2015. Information may be dropped off at the Health and Community Services office, faxed (807-473-3706) or mailed to:
Confederation College
P.O. Box 398, 1450 Nakina Drive
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
P7C 4W1
Attention: Ruth Bushby

If this information is not submitted by the above date it may impede the students ability to complete clinical and field placements.

Q. How will I know what to expect when I arrive? 
A. Students will be sent a package of information about the first two days.  It is highly recommended that students participate in these sessions as vital information for success at Confederation College will be shared. We are excited about the fall semester and look forward to meeting you! 

Q. Do I need a serology test?

A. Yes, you are requested to provide serology results of all existing immunizations.  You can obtain a requisition from the nurse practitioner at the Health Centre on Campus. 



If you have any questions please contact  Monica Coggin at (807) 475-6260 mcoggin1@confederationcollege.ca