You are here

Student Strike Relief Fund

November 24, 2017
Community News
Campus: All campuses
Confederation College

The Student Strike Relief Fund provides assistance for full-time students who have experienced financial hardship as a result of the strike. The Fund is consistent with the framework developed by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) in consultation with student leaders and colleges. Students will be able to submit applications starting Monday, November 27, 2017. 

Students who submit a request to withdraw from their program by December 5, 2017 can apply for a full refund of their tuition, including most ancillary fees. Those who choose to withdraw will not be eligible for any additional support through the Student Strike Relief Fund.  


Full-time domestic and international students who remain enrolled in their program and who have unexpected incremental (additional) costs because of the strike, are eligible to apply to the Student Strike Relief Fund. Apprentices completing their in-school training are also eligible to apply.

Students will be eligible to receive up to $500 for unexpected incremental costs. Incremental costs are additional expenses that students only have as a result of the strike. Examples include:

  • Incremental travel costs (costs of rescheduling plane, train or bus tickets)
  • Incremental living expenses (including food and housing)
  • Incremental child care expenses
  • Other incremental essential expenses occurring as a result of the strike
  • As per the MAESD guidelines, incremental costs do not include loss of income

NOTE: The flight and child care reimbursement process established at Confederation College on November 8, 2017 is now part of the Student Strike Relief Fund and this form should be used for all claims. The maximum amounts indicated in the initial flight and child care reimbursement process surrounding the winter (Christmas) break will be honoured for all eligible full-time students. All other claims will be considered to a maximum amount of $500.


Students must complete the application form and include supporting documentation as evidence of the extra costs. Examples include but are not limited to flight change fees, rental agreements, receipts for child care expenses, a letter from a landlord, a copy of a post-dated cheque, etc.

The application form, including information about the application process, can be viewed and downloaded from or picked up from “The Hub” in Thunder Bay (Shuniah Building) or your Regional Campus. “The Hub” is open Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30pm ET.

The financial assistance that students receive from this Fund will not impact their OSAP or Second Career funding or eligibility.

In assessing Student Strike Relief Fund applications, the College may consider other forms of financial aid the student receives for living expenses (e.g., OSAP, Second Career).   

Students may submit multiple claims. Total claims may not exceed $500 per student. For example, a student receives $200 with claim #1. The student is then eligible to receive up to an additional $300 for claim #2.

The maximum amounts indicated in the initial flight and child care reimbursement process surrounding the winter (Christmas) break will be honoured for all eligible full-time students.

APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MAY 11, 2018 (the end of the winter semester)

The review of applications will begin after December 5, 2017.

Please return completed Student Strike Relief Fund forms and supporting documentation to “The Hub” in Thunder Bay (Shuniah Building), your Regional Campus or submit via e-mail to “The Hub” is open Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30pm ET. If submitting via e-mail, remember to scan and attach supporting documentation. 


Applications will be reviewed and processed as quickly as possible after the application is received (the review of applications will begin after December 5, 2017). Students will receive confirmation regarding the result of their application. If the application is approved, funds will be credited to the student’s Confederation College account. If required and if your Confederation account is in good standing, a cheque may be issued for the amount credited.


If your claim is denied, or if the amount of relief you receive is less than $500 and you disagree with the amount of relief you were given, you can appeal the college’s decision once. You must appeal within fourteen (14) days after the College’s decision is issued. You must submit your appeal in writing to the Registrar’s Office via “The Hub” in Thunder Bay (Shuniah Building), your Regional Campus or by e-mailing Appeals will be reviewed by a committee, which will include representation from the Student Union (SUCCI).


Don’t forget, Confederation College has many existing student supports in place to help students in need:


Ask questions and get assistance with the Student Strike Relief Fund process and paperwork during one of the following drop-in sessions:

  • Tuesday, November 28 – 12:30-1:30pm – SUCCI Student Commons
  • Wednesday, November 29 – 12:30-1:30pm – McIntyre Lunch Room
  • Thursday, November 30 – 12:30-1:30pm – SUCCI Student Commons
  • Friday, December 1 – 12:30-1:30pm – Aviation Centre of Excellence Lobby

You can also direct questions about this process or paperwork to

Jim Madder