As work continues on our new Technology, Education and Collaboration (TEC) Hub at our Thunder Bay Campus, and as we get ready to welcome our students for the new academic year, we wanted to remind everyone about how to access the surrounding buildings and what roads are in operation during construction.
Everyone coming on campus is asked to drive slowly and with caution near the construction area (by the McIntyre Building) and on Nipigon Road. If possible, those not accessing buildings in the area are asked to please use an alternate entrance to Confederation College to reduce the amount of traffic on Nipigon Road. Alternate entrances are at Golf Links Road and Balmoral Street. Details surrounding the specific access is below.
Access to McIntyre Building, Children & Family Centre, Sibley Hall Residence and Northwestern Ontario Innovation Centre
Road access surrounding our McIntyre Building remains adjusted to ensure the health and safety of our students, employees, clients and visitors. These adjustments directly impact access to our McIntyre Building, Children and Family Centre, the Northwestern Ontario Innovation Centre and Sibley Hall Residence.
The front entrances to the McIntyre Building and Children and Family Centre remain closed. McIntyre can be accessed from the west, north or south sides of the building. The Children and Family Centre can be accessed through the gate to the Centre’s courtyard.
For the safest route to access the alternate entrances, students in residence and individuals needing to approach the McIntyre Building on foot from the east side are asked to travel on the pedestrian path that has been temporarily marked off along the south side near William Street. Access this path starting on the south east side of the McIntyre Building. Please cross Nipigon Road carefully.
If you need to travel this route at night, please ensure you have a charged cell phone with you that has the number to Campus Security pre-programmed in (807-623-0465). We also highly recommend that you walk in pairs or small groups or contact Security to accompany you.
Please also be reminded of the following adjustments which remain in place:
Nipigon Road and East Nipigon Road Entrance (off of William Street)
- The east entrance of Nipigon Road (off of William Street) is limited to local traffic only, including those needing to access the Sibley Hall Residence and Northwestern Ontario Innovation Centre
- Nipigon Road is closed to through traffic on the east side of the McIntyre Building
- Nipigon Road remains open on the west side of the McIntyre Building and will be the main access point through construction. Please drive slowly and with caution in this area due to the increased traffic. If possible, those not accessing buildings in the area are asked to use an alternate entrance to Confederation College (Golf Links Road or Balmoral Street)
- Access to the Sibley Hall parking lot and Sibley Hall Residence remains unaffected
There is work being done to McIntyre Parking Lot M to expand the area. Any construction will be stopped during academic hours and we anticipate that by Sept. 5 students and employees can park on top of the gravel in the expanded area when construction is not active. If the area is cordoned off, please do not park in the new section. You are asked to avoid parking in the new section during evenings and weekends until the expansion is complete.
- Parking for the McIntyre Building is available in Lots M and N only (on the west and south sides of the McIntyre Building), with overflow in Lot Q if required (by Sibley Hall)
- Parking for the Northwestern Ontario Innovation Centre is in Lot Q (by Sibley Hall)
- Parking for the Children and Family Centre is in Parking Lot N (on the south side of the McIntyre Building), with long-term parking in Lot M (west side of McIntyre) and overflow parking in Lot Q if required (by Sibley Hall).
- Parking for the Sibley Hall Residence remains unaffected
Areas are fenced off appropriately. SEE THE SITE MAP… outlining the adjustments described above. These changes will remain in effect until the completion of construction in 2018.
If you have any questions or concerns, please complete the webform on our website at www.confederationcollege.ca/TEC-Hub. You will also find more information about the TEC Hub, including construction updates, on this page throughout the construction process.
Confederation College thanks you for your continued understanding and support.