You are here

FAQs for International Students

About Confederation College
Accommodation & Services

About Confederation College

Why Confederation College?

  • Confederation College excel at providing practical, hands-on, applied learning that is geared to the needs of employers.
  • Employers like Confederation College graduates.
  • Confederation College is one of the leaders in the province in terms of graduate employment - 88.9% of our Graduates find employment within 6 months of graduation. 
  • At Confederation College, you are not just another student number.  We are a close-knit community and we get to know you by name.  You get to know your fellow classmates on a personal level.  Friendships formed at college can extend long after graduation.
  • Confederation College is dedicated to meeting student’s needs and providing you with a high-quality education that leads to success.
  • Confederation College is known for its commitment to student success. Our student services are dedicated to helping students succeed, and include  Counseling, Tutoring and an Academic Support Centre.
  • We care about student’s future. Confederation College has career counsellors who can help you write resumes and prepare for interviews.
  • Articulation Agreements with various universities permit students to graduate from Confederation College, then receive credit towards a university degree.
  • Confederation College offers bus pass for the academic year, health benefits, and membership to our Fitness Centre.

Where is Confederation College?

Thunder Bay is a great choice for international students.  Located in the geographic center of Canada, Thunder Bay lies on the shores of Lake Superior and is a 1.5-hour flight from Toronto.  It is ideal for academic studies, recreational, and cultural activities.  It is a clean, safe, and friendly city of 108,000 people that includes a number of different multi-cultural groups; it boasts some of the most spectacular scenery in North America   Easy access to stunning natural beauty, open spaces and fresh-water lakes allows students to experience a wide range of exciting summer and winter activities and to have a “truly Canadian” experience. 


How do I apply to Confederation College?

We’ve made applying easy. Check out our step-by-step guide.

What programs can I apply for?

Confederation College has many programs to choose from.  For a list of eligible programs for international students, please view the International Student Program Chart.

What do I need to do after I get Letter of Acceptance?

You will find complete instructions on making your tuition payment on the back of your Letter of Acceptance. After you make your payment, we will send you a receipt and you can start the process to obtain a Study Permit.

When must fees be paid?

A fee schedule will be provided for you on the back of your Letter of Acceptance (LoA). You must make the payments by the dates indicated on your LoA to reserve your seat in your program.

What is the refund policy?

Our refund policy can be found here: International Refund policy …

What is the English proficiency requirement to the College?

For most diploma and certificate programs, an IELTS score of 6.0 or iBt TOEFL score of 79 is required. For all health and postgraduate programs an IELTS score of 6.5 or iBt TOEFL score of 88 is required.

Details about our English proficiency and admission requirements can be found here: English Proficiency Requirements

What English language training programs are available?

Confederation College provides two English language training programs. English as a Second Language  (ESL) program,  spans three levels in order to meet your language proficiency needs. English for Academic Purposes  (EAP) program  prepares you for post-secondary studies. Successful completion of this program meets the English proficiency requirements for Confederation College. 


What scholarship opportunities exist for international students?

Scholarship opportunities exist for international students to study in Canada. A registry of available funding opportunities can be found here: Scholarships. Confederation College has scholarships, awards and bursaries available for students that range in amounts and for various programs of study. Please note that there are no entry scholarships available to international students. 

How much are tuition fees?

A comprehensive list of tuition fees can be found here: Tuition Fees

What does my tuition fee include?

Tuition fees (except for EAP/ESL) include an unlimited city-wide bus pass for the school year, health insurance, and access to student services across the college.

How do I pay my fees?

Complete instructions on how to pay your fees are located here: How to Make an International Payment and on the back of your Letter of Acceptance.

Accommodation & Services

Do you have an airport pickup service? How much does the service cost?

Arriving in a new country, especially after a long flight, can be overwhelming. To help make your transition to Thunder Bay as stress-free as possible, we offer a Safe Arrivals program. The Safe Arrivals package offers airport pickup and short-term accommodation, letting us take care of the details of your arrival in Thunder Bay. To participate in the Safe Arrivals program, please complete and submit the Student Services Application.

What is the best way to get to Thunder Bay?

Thunder Bay is a short 1.5-hour flight from Pearson International Airport in Toronto, Ontario. We strongly recommend that students fly from Toronto to get here. Book your flight before leaving your home country. If you do not it will be very costly to book it upon arrival and will make passing through Immigration at the airport more challenging, since they will be looking for confirmed travel plans to your school of study upon arrival to Canada. There are often seat sales on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Watch the airline websites for these sales. Do not take a bus to Thunder Bay. It will cost you more, will take you approximately 20 hours and Confederation College will not pick up students at the bus depot. It is not possible to take a train to Thunder Bay.

Will I need to buy health insurance for my study in Canada?

Your health insurance is included in your tuition, so you do not need to worry about finding insurance yourself.

How much does residence cost and what does it include?

Confederation College is proud to offer students access to our newly renovated residence facilities. Visit: for details.

How much will you charge me to arrange for the Homestay? How much does Homestay Cost?

Confederation College has partnered with Canada Homestay Network Inc. to provide international students with Homestay services while studying at Confederation College.

Can I leave Homestay if I don’t like it?

Once placed in a homestay accommodation, students are required to stay for a minimum of four months before moving out.

Can I choose to live off campus?

Students can choose to live off campus, and are responsible for finding their own accommodation. Information on looking for off-campus housing in Thunder Bay can be found here: Off-Campus Housing Checklist. Students must be aware of the potential challenges and the amount of time needed to find accommodations and furniture.

What support services are available for International Students?

Confederation College is happy to offer a comprehensive range of services to students to. These include:

  • Airport pickup
  • Referrals for Homestay and on-campus residence accommodation
  • Help with registering for classes
  • Academic advisement
  • Orientation upon arrival
  • Information sessions on important topics like work permits, taxes, and job search skills

For more information: Student Services.

I have children between the ages of 6-18, can they attend school during my studies?

Students enrolled full-time in a diploma-granting program are eligible to enroll their children in either the Lakehead District School Board or the Thunder Bay Catholic School Board and will not have to pay tuition fees (does not include ESL and EAP students). Visit Lakehead Public District School Board and the Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board for more information.