The real Canadian experience - fresh, blue skies and clean, clear water, surrounding a thriving city.
Situated on the north shore of Lake Superior - the world’s largest freshwater lake - Thunder Bay offers an exciting mix of urban and active lifestyles. Enjoy all the conveniences of city living with easy access to some of Canada’s most beautiful natural surroundings. Some might call it the great outdoors - we call it home.
Set against a captivating backdrop of boreal forest, countless trail systems, pristine lakes and rivers, and the rugged Canadian Shield, Thunder Bay is a city that enjoys the best of all worlds. It offers all the amenities you would expect to fi nd in a large city, yet without the hustle, bustle, noise, and pollution of big city living. Thunder Bay is the sunniest city in eastern Canada with an average of 2121 hours (that’s 305 days) of bright sunshine each year.
Some quick facts:
- Gateway to Canada’s great outdoors!
- 2-hour flight from Toronto
- Population of 108,359 people
- Multicultural city - 6th most culturally diverse community of its size in North America
- The economic hub of Northwestern Ontario, an area the size of France
- 2nd happiest city in Canada
- Largest inland port in the world, shipping grain, potash and other commodities to all corners of the world
A city with deeply rooted European and Aboriginal cultures, Thunder Bay is the sixth most culturally diverse community of its size in North America. Some of the most represented ethnic backgrounds include Finnish, Italian, Scottish, Ukrainian, Polish, French, Aboriginal Canadian, Chinese and Croatian.
Learn more about Thunder Bay: http://gotothunderbay.ca/