You are here

Financial Aid FAQ's 2019-20


1) What type of financial assistance is available?

a) You can apply for assistance through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) at It is an online application. There is no cost to apply online. You will automatically be assessed for both Federal and Provincial grant funding as well as Federal and Provincial loan funding. The student loans are interest free while you are in school. Repayment of loans does not start until 6 months after you cease full time studies. Full time means a minimum 60% course load (40% if you have a permanent disability). If you meet the criteria you will also be considered for the Ontario Tuition Grant (OTG) which is $435 per semester up to a maximum of $870.

b) Entrance awards are available for students entering the first year of their program at Confederation College as a full-time student. Learn more about Scholarships, Bursaries & Awards…

c) The application for in-program awards is available for students attending full-time. You can check by visiting the Scholarships, Bursaries & Awards page. These are awarded in the winter semester.

d) Other awards become available during the school year. In some cases students are notified via email or you can check the Scholarships, Bursaries & Awards page. You can visit our External Awards page for a listing and related links.

2) When will the OSAP application be available?

The application will be available in the spring of 2019. Visit for more information and to apply.

3) Do I have to provide anything when I submit the OSAP application?

Once you have submitted the application, you will need to print the required declaration and signature pages for yourself (including parents/spouse if applicable). These pages must be signed and dated and forwarded to the Financial Aid Office. If you cannot print them, you can choose to have the ministry mail them to you. NOTE: If you submitted signature and declaration pages since the 2013-14 academic year and have not had a two-year gap in studies, then you will not have to submit them again.

Other documentation may be required, depending on the applicant’s situation (i.e. copy of marriage certificate, etc.). In the “Application Details” section, you will find a list of documentation you may have to provide.

Once you have applied you will receive an email with 2-3 business days with instructions on submitting the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) form. 

4) When will I know if I’m approved for OSAP and how much I’m getting?

Once your application has been submitted and required documentation has been received, an assessment will be performed. The earliest assessment date is some time in June 2019. Keep checking the OSAP website for your application status. You can also get an “Estimate” from your OSAP file or use the “Estimator “ on the OSAP site. Note: These  are only estimates and may not match an actual assessment.

5) I’m having difficulty applying online because I don’t know my Ontario Access Number (OAN) (or Password). How do I find that information?

Click “Apply” and then click “Forgot OAN or Password.” You will be given three options:

#1 “Online” - This is where you can answer the challenge questions you previously made up.

#2 “Email” - This is where the ministry will send you your OAN or password IF you had validated your email address.

#3 “In Person” or “By Mail” - If you choose “In Person,” then you may contact, in person, most publicly funded Ontario colleges or universities that have a Financial Aid Office. You must provide you social insurance card and government-issued photo I.D. (i.e. driver’s licence). They can retrieve your OAN or give you a temporary password. If you are not near a Financial Aid Office, you can request this information from the ministry by completing and mailing the Forgot Password and/or OSAP Access Number forms…

6) Registration opens before I will receive OSAP. I want to register. What should I do?

Refer to the Tuition Deferral Policy… It has been revised so read carefully.

7) When will I receive my OSAP funding?

If your OSAP application is complete, and you are registered as a full-time student, the Financial Aid Office will electronically confirm your enrollment for each semester (earliest is 15 days prior to starting school). Once confirmed, funding will then be disbursed electronically as of the first day of school and usually takes approx. 5 – 7 business days.

NOTE: Approx. 60% of your OSAP funding is distributed in the fall, with the balance being distributed in the Winter semester (assuming a fall start). For those in a three-semester program, please remember, there are only two disbursements of OSAP funding, not three, so budget accordingly.

8) I don’t know how much money I will be making before or during school, or if I will receive any bursaries or scholarships. What should I put on my OSAP application?

The application says to “estimate “ these amounts. You will be asked to confirm these amounts at a later date.

9) I’ve applied for OSAP at another school, but am going to attend Confederation College. What should I do?

Contact the other institution and ask them to “Close” your application, or you can go online and close it. Then submit a new application for Confederation College.

10) I don’t understand the question (statement) on the OSAP application with regard to allowing the ministry to remit tuition fees on my behalf. What does it mean?

If you are expecting to have your tuition and fees paid from your OSAP funding then you would not check the box “Don’t pay fees on my behalf”. If you have checked that box and have already submitted your application then you need to submit a request in writing to Confederation’s Financial Aid Office to change your answer.

11) What is the deadline to apply for OSAP?

The last date to apply is 60 days prior to your study period end date. Documentation and review deadlines are 40 days before the end of your study period. If you are expecting to have OSAP funding available for the start of school, then you should apply no later than six weeks prior to starting school.

12) I’m planning on attending part-time. Is there any funding available for me?

Regular full-time OSAP funding is available for application if you have a course load of 60% and above. If you have a permanent disability then you can be considered for OSAP with a course load of 40% and above.

There is also a part-time CSL/grant application on the OSAP website if you are studying part-time. The minimum course load is 20% and maximum load is 59%. Funding will only address tuition, books, supply costs and child care costs. There is no living allowance with the part-time program.

13) How do I check the status of my OSAP application?

Visit  and click on the box “Check Status,” then select your current application.

14) I’m required to provide an “Affidavit.” How can I obtain one?

An affidavit is a legal document that is used to support a person’s marital status (i.e. sole support parent, common-law). If you are in Thunder Bay, you can come to Confederation College and meet with a Commissioner for taking affidavits. There is no charge for affidavits. Some of our regional campuses may also have a Commissioner for taking affidavits. If you are not in Thunder Bay, a Commissioner of Oaths or Notary Public can usually be found at your local City Hall. Note: If you are common-law, then both you and your partner must be present to complete the affidavit.

15) What do I do if I change programs?

If you change your program before your study period study starts, then notify the Financial Aid Office in writing of the change. If you change your program after your study period starts, then you will need to submit a program change form, which are available from the Financial Aid Office.

16) Is there funding other than OSAP available for students that are Crown Wards?

Yes, there is special funding available. You must apply for OSAP to be considered for the “Tuition Aid for Youth Leaving Care” or the “Living and Learning Grant.” For more information, visit the OSAP website…

If you are not applying for OSAP, you may still apply for the “Living and Learning Grant” on a stand–alone application…

16. What does it mean if I’m on Academic Probation for OSAP?

If you’re on Academic Probation for OSAP, it means that you didn’t successfully complete your studies last year while you were on OSAP. For the next academic year, your academic progress will be monitored closely. This can happen if you do not receive passing grades in your classes, or if you received OSAP funding and then dropped some or all of your classes. During your OSAP probation, you can still receive OSAP funding. However, you also will be expected to pass the courses you registered for. If you pass your courses, then the Academic Probation will be removed from your OSAP file. If you don’t pass your courses, then you may be restricted from OSAP funding for a minimum of 12 months.OSAP also expects you to advance through your program. Frequent or multiple program changes, repeating courses, or failure to advance in your degree can result in an Academic Probation.​ OSAP provides funding for the length of your program plus one year. In order to access OSAP funding while on Academic Probation, you will need to submit an academic probation letter.