You are here
How/Why Did You Become a Teacher?:
I just “gave up on myself and became a teacher” like Jack Black did in The School of Rock.
What Do You Like Most About Teaching?:
Of all the things I do, TEACHING is the most rewarding job that I’ve ever had. I struggle with my teaching every year, always searching for the right method and the right balance. The “secret” of teaching is unknown to me. Perhaps searching for this elusive “secret” is more important than finding it - if it indeed exists!
Your Educational Background & Qualifications:
- Registered Professional Engineer Ontario (PEO)
- Graduate of Queen’s University (1977) - Bachelor of Science (Civil Engineering)
Awards & Recognition:
- Award-winning filmmaker, world-wide competitions
- Canadian Professor of the Year (case.org)
- National and international awards for software development
- Apple Developer - App Store
- Presentations and invited speaker in most major Canadian/US cities and around the world
- Published author
Your Relevant Experience in the Field:
- Programming consultant for Canadian/US companies - small to Fortune 500 size
- Cartoon Network Consultant
- Contributor to Open Source Software
- Building websites since 1995
- 30 years experience as an entrepreneur
- Developing commercial software/web apps since 1990
- Project Manager on projects up to $50 million
Your Hobbies & Other Interests:
- Juggler, Carpenter, Bricklayer and DIY builder of camera equipment
What insight, or words of advice would you have regarding your program?:
Learn to program for the web, that’s where the jobs are. Programming can be one of the most creative things you do. We start at the very beginning, so don’t be scared off if you’ve never programmed before. In your first year alone, you can do amazing things!
What insight, or words of advice would you have regarding career opportunities in this field of study?:
Check out: https://youtu.be/nKIu9yen5nc. I can’t say it any better than that.