You are here
Jessica Smith, MA HBA BEd
I was born and raised in Thunder Bay and I have also spent some time living in Guelph and Sudbury.
How/Why Did You Become a Teacher?:
I love working in a busy and dynamic atmosphere. I love coming together with people from all walks of life and learning from each other. I like to help people set and reach their goals and I am very happy to be working with mature learners.
What Do You Like Most About Teaching?:
My favourite thing about teaching is continuously meeting new people.
Your Educational Background & Qualifications:
- Master of Arts, English, Lakehead University
- FSL 1, University of Western Ontario
- Honours Bachelor of Arts, English and Biology, Lakehead University
- Bachelor of Education, Lakehead University
- I completed my H.B.Ed, with a major in English and a minor in General Sciences, and my Masters of English at Lakehead University. As well, I have taken several Indigenous Education courses, Biology course, which focused on Human Anatomy and Physiology, and Women’s Studies courses.
Awards & Recognition:
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Award
- Lakehead University Entrance Award
Your Relevant Experience in the Field:
I have been teaching since 1999 and I have taught in both French and English languages and have taught in every grade from Kindergarten to grade 12 and beyond. Before I began teaching in the classroom, I taught swimming lessons and ran summer camps for a variety of local organizations. I have worked as a teacher, a florist, a lifeguard, a librarian, a potter and a plumber!
Your Hobbies & Other Interests:
Pottery, downhill and cross country skiing, stand-up paddle boarding, swimming, rowing, sun worshipping. I am the mother of two beautiful girls, and we enjoy spending a lot of time hiking, biking and skiing outdoors. I also caught the travel bug a long time ago, and I like to visit new places as much as possible. I thoroughly love my job in Academic Upgrading.
What insight, or words of advice would you have regarding your program?:
Attendance and progress go hand-in-hand in our program. If you attend, we will help, and you will succeed.