You are here
How/Why I Become a Teacher:
23 years ago I had the opportunity to teach in the same program that I was once a student of. I had multiple years of experience as a leisure and corporate agent as well as an agency manager, which enabled me to deliver first-hand my experiences in the field. At Confederation College my main area of focus is the Travel Sector - airline and tour operations, customer service, geography and culture.
The career choice that I had made was both rewarding and fascinating. I have had the good fortune to travel to many exotic parts of the world. I want to pass on to my students the same opportunity that I was awarded in life.
Here are some of my favourite travel experiences: The Embera Indian Village in Panama was among the most fascinating places I have ever experienced, as it was rich with history, culture and majestic beauty. Exploring Tunisia by way of jeep and camel through the Sahara Desert was amazing! Sleeping in a hammock while staying at a remote jungle lodge on the Orinoco Delta River in Venezuela, was truly a rugged experience. Who wouldn’t have wanted to see Michael Bolton at the Pula Arena, in Croatia?
To adapt to the Eco-Adventure Tourism sector of our program and due to my love for kayaking, I was able to earn a Flatwater Sea Kayaking Instructor Certification with Paddle Canada (CRCA) and Ontario Recreational Canoeing and Kayaking Association (ORCKA). I have also attempted ice climbing at Orient Bay and realize I need much more practice!
What I Like Most About Teaching:
What I like most about teaching is to be able to mold the minds of this younger generation, share my knowledge, passion and lead them down the path of opportunity.
My Educational Background & Qualifications:
- MOOC-Reconciliation through Indigenous Education Certificate
- Effective Teaching and Training Strategies - Certificate
- Travel and Tourism Administration - Diploma
- Certified Travel Counsellor (CTC) - Designation
- Industry Canada Accredited Examiner - ROC-A (Radio Restricted Operator-Aeronautical)
- Sea Kayaking Flatwater Instructor - Paddle Canada/ORCKA (Ontario Recreational Canoeing & Kayaking Assoc)
- Service Excellence Trainer - OTEC
- Proctor - TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario) Educational Standards Certificate
My Relevant Experience in the Field:
23 years of teaching experience at Confederation College
18 year of travel industry and airline related experience
Bawaajigan Certificate (Indigenous Speaker Series)
- Inflight Institute Certificate
- Worker Health and Safety Awareness Certificate
- Red Cross - First Aid/CPR
- CSP – Canada Specialist Program Certificate
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities (AODA) Educator Certificate
- safeTALK Certificate
- VIASINC – Introduction to SABRE (Global Distribution System) Certified
- CVent Supplier Network Certificate
- RBC Travel Insurance Specialist Certificate
- VIASINC – Introduction to Apollo (Global Distribution System) Certified
- Canadian Travel Press – Travel Law Certificate
- Fire Extinguisher Training – Flammable Liquids Certificate
- Flight Attendant Training (80 hours of instruction) Certificate
- ORCKA (Ontario Recreational Canoeing and Kayaking Association) - Canoe Tripping Certificate
- ORCKA (Ontario Recreational Canoeing and Kayaking Association) - Flatwater Kayaking Certificate
- Lakehead Search & Rescue Unit Certificate
- George Brown College - WIDS (World-wide Instructional Design System) Basic, Coach, Trainer Certificates
- Air Canada Res II (GDS) Certificate
- Galileo – FocalPoint (GDS) Certificate
- Reservec (GDS) – Domestic and International Fares Certificate
My Hobbies & Other Interests:
Love to kayak, travel, refurbish antique furniture and most of all spending time with Jermaine, Danika, and Lauren (my grandchildren)
Awards & Recognition:
- 2015 Confederation College Board of Governors’ Employee Award of Excellence - Full-Time Faculty
- Ontario North Agent of the Year Award
My insight and words of advice regarding this program:
The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page – get on board, fasten your seat belts and you won’t regret it! YOLO – You Only Live Once.
My insight and words of advice regarding career opportunities in this field of study:
If you have a love for travel and the outdoors, you will have the opportunity to turn your passion into a career and follow your dream. The tourism industry is comprised of five industry sectors (accommodation; food and beverage services; recreation and entertainment; transportation and travel services) and offers a myriad of opportunities for each and every student. It is up to you to decide what your final destination will be!
“Life’s not about waiting for the storm to pass.. it’s about learning to dance in the rain” Vivian Greene