Bridge Construction Updates
Archived Updates (from construction period, August 3-December 13, 2018)
Due to driver shortages, City Transit has announced that the shuttle bus service between the McIntyre and Shuniah buildings will not be available after 12:30 pm today. We will provide updates as they become available.
We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
We are pleased to share that the first phase of work on the bridge near the Nakina Drive entrance of our Thunder Bay campus is nearly complete.
Starting on Friday, December 21, 2018, the bridge will reopen to vehicle and pedestrian traffic. In addition, bus stops and vehicle drop-off locations will revert to our standard locations/guidelines.
Effective December 21, vehicles will be able to use the loop at the east entrance of the Shuniah building for drop-offs/pick-ups. Bus stops will return to their regular locations as follows:
- Shuniah building – west entrance
- McIntyre building/Sibley Hall residence – east and southeast of the McIntyre building
The bus shuttle service offered during construction between the McIntyre and Shuniah buildings will end at 5:30pm on December 20, 2018.
Note that the City of Thunder Bay’s still-in-progress pedestrian bridge, located next to the Nakina/Atikokan Dr. bridge, will remain closed to all traffic.
We thank everyone for their patience and understanding during this first phase of construction. We are scheduled to commence the second and final phase of the project in the spring of 2019 and will communicate details of that in advance of construction beginning.
Beginning Wednesday, October 10, the location of the Thunder Bay Transit stop at the Sibley Hall Residence will change. The new stop will be located at the south side of the McIntyre Building near the TEC Hub entrance (see attached map).
The shuttle bus between the McIntyre and Shuniah buildings will be relocated to this new stop. Service will remain unchanged with the shuttle running approximately every 20 minutes, Mon-Fri, 7:30am-5:30pm.
This relocation will provide more appropriate shelter for those waiting for the bus (inside the McIntyre Building) and offer more stable surfaces for those with accessibility considerations to get on and off the buses. The relocation is in large part due to the feedback received from our College community. We thank you for that feedback and thank everyone at our Thunder Bay campus for your continued patience and cooperation during our bridge closure/construction.
The shuttle bus service between the McIntyre and Shuniah buildings is back in service.
City Transit will use a Lift+ Specialized bus for the shuttle today. The lift bus has the ability to handle up to 3 mobility devices (wheelchairs) and up to 8 people seated. Please note that it takes approximately 5 minutes to load and secure each passenger in a wheelchair.
Due to driver shortages, City Transit has announced that the shuttle bus service between the McIntyre and Shuniah buildings will not be available today. We will provide updates as they become available. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding
Due to driver shortages, City Transit has announced that the shuttle bus service between the McIntyre and Shuniah buildings will not be available today. We will provide updates as they become available. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
For those accessing the Shuniah Building, all drop-offs and pick-ups must take place directly in front of the west entrance of the Shuniah building.
Metered parking spots (see V2 on the site map below) have been re-opened. The east entrance of the Shuniah building will remain limited to City shuttle buses only.
The City of Thunder Bay has announced that the the portion of the multi-use trail that passes through Confederation College property is closed. It will re-open once the construction of the Nakina/Atikokan Drive Bridge is completed, which is scheduled for December 15, 2018.
Due to driver illness, the shuttle bus service between the McIntyre and Shuniah buildings will only be available today from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. We will provide updates as they become available. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
As work begins on the new bridge at the Nakina Drive entrance of our Thunder Bay Campus, and as we get ready to welcome our students for the new academic year, we wanted to remind everyone about how to access the surrounding buildings and what roads are in operation during construction.
Starting on Monday, August 20, Nakina Drive will be closed to all traffic until the anticipated completion date of December 15, 2018.
There will be no thru traffic for the duration of construction with access to various buildings being limited to the Balmoral Street and William Street entrances. Golf Links Road access will be limited to contractors.
Access to Confederation College:
- Balmoral Street (Barton Drive/Sibley Drive). Use this entrance to access the Shuniah and Dorion Buildings, the SUCCI Wellness Centre, Minowaadiziiwin, Spruce and Cedar House Residences, Northwest Employment Works and the Thunder Bay Art Gallery.
- William Street. Use these entrances to access the McIntyre Building, Sibley Hall Residence, Children and Family Centre and Northwestern Ontario Innovation Centre.
Please be prepared for delays and give yourself extra travel time and proceed with caution. This will be especially important on Orientation Day, Tuesday, September 4 with students returning to campus. Consider walking, biking and/or carpooling during the construction.
Please also be prepared for the following changes:
Parking and Drop-Off Area/Pick-Up Area:
- Parking permits for day passes will available at kiosks located in Parking Lot F (for buildings accessed by Balmoral St) and near the hut off of Schreiber Rd (for buildings accessed by William St).
- For those accessing the Shuniah Building, all drop-offs and pick-ups must take place on the west side of the building (see V2 on the site map). Metered parking spots in that area will not be available during construction. The east entrance of the Shuniah building will be limited to City shuttle buses only.
- Clients of Northwest Employment Works (NEW) will need to park in Lots E and F with parking permits visible (purchase from the kiosk in Lot F). NEW will remain open for the duration of construction and clients are also reminded of their additional location: Whalen Building, 1st Floor, 34 N. Cumberland St.
- We will not issue parking tickets on its main campus until September 17 to support the transition during the beginning of this construction project.
Thunder Bay Transit:
- All City bus stops will be relocated to the west side of the Sibley Hall Residence. Confederation College will support shuttle bus service between the McIntyre and Shuniah buildings. Service will be available from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, with shuttles running regularly (approximately every 20 minutes).
- The pedestrian bridge north of the Sibley Hall Residence will enable pedestrian access between the two sides of campus.
- Multi-use trail access will also change during construction, with the detours marked.
We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your support and understanding.
For more information and regular updates, visit: www.confederationcollege.ca/constructiononcampus.
Please be advised that the construction of the Nakina Dr. Bridge will not begin on Monday, August 13. A new and confirmed start date should be available and posted early next week.
It is anticipated that construction will begin between August 14-17.
Construction will not begin on August 7 as originally anticipated. A new and confirmed start date should be available and posted during the week of August 6. The start date will be no earlier than August 13.
Starting as early as August 13, the Nakina/Atikokan Dr. bridge will be closed for the construction of a new bridge (anticipated completion: November 30, 2018).
Plan to give yourself extra travel time when you arrive on campus. You will be able to access our facilities as noted below:
- Balmoral St. Entrance - to access Shuniah and Dorion Buildings and SUCCI Wellness Centre, Minowaadiziiwin
- William St. Entrances - to access McIntyre Building, Sibley Hall Residence and Children & Family Centre
A full circulation plan and additional details about the project will be shared as information is available.